PA3 and PWN Princeton Area - Volunteer for Spring Beach Sweeps - CANCELED
Clean Ocean Action hosts two Beach Sweeps a year to rid beaches of debris and record data used to advance programs to reduce letter. Join us for the spring sweep on April 1, 2023!
Date: Saturday, April 1, 2023, 9:00 am – 12:30 pm
Location: Long Branch – Madison Avenue, 2 Ocean Ave N, Long Branch, NJ 07740
- Each individual must register to participate in Beach Sweeps here; select the above location and for the Group, indicate Princeton Area Alumni Association. Beach Sweeps will send a site-specific email a few days before the event.
- Please also register with PA3 here so we know to look for you!
On Saturday morning, April 1, we will join thousands of volunteers on the Jersey shore to collect trash from beaches, bays, and waterways, helping Clean Ocean Action clean beaches and catalog the type of debris removed.
We will gather at Madison Avenue in Long Branch (2 Ocean Ave N on Google Maps); on street parking should be free, there’s a rest room just down the boardwalk. After receiving directions and supplies from the Beach Captain, we’ll walk along the beach and help make it garbage-free!
Afterward, those who wish will head to the Boardwalk for lunch.
We expect most will drive themselves, but if you need a ride or could provide a ride, please note that on the PA3 Registration form we’ll try to match people up. There should be parking near the beach entrance.
There is no cost for the beach cleanup; lunch is on your own dime.
- Children are welcome, but those under 12 years old must be accompanied by an adult.
- PLEASE bring and wear your own gloves (preferably reusable work/garden gloves)! A trash bucket is encouraged to reduce the number of plastic bags used. All other materials will be provided.
- You may wish to bring a small drawstring bag or backpack along with items such as a reusable water bottle, snacks, hand sanitizer, sunscreen, bug spray, etc. to make the experience more enjoyable.
- Attend rain or shine.
- Dress for the weather (It's usually chillier at the beach).
- Wear close-toed, hard-soled shoes such as sneakers (NO open-toed sandals, please).
- Wear Sunscreen, hats and sunglasses are also helpful for sun protection.
- Stay off the dunes.
- Respect wildlife.
- If you’d like verification of volunteer hours, please bring your form or print their form (see FAQ on the Beach Sweeps site). Have the form signed by the beach captain before you leave your site.
Additional Information about Beach Sweeps: https://cleanoceanaction.org/index.php?id=153
Questions: Contact Diane